I hurt my back in an on-the-job accident. The company doctor gave me some muscle relaxants and a prescription for rest for a week. I'd really like a step-by-step list of what to do when. Is that available anywhere?
You may be looking for what doctors refer to as Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs). There are several CPGs published on the topic of low back pain (LBP). Most of these are based on scientific evidence, not just agreed-upon opinions of several doctors.

The Agency for Health Care Policy and Research (AHCPR) publishes materials of this type. AHCPR has been renamed to Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). CPG number 14: Acute Low Back Problems in Adults: Assessment and Treatment was published in 1994.

Although still in use, this document is no longer viewed as current. You can take a look at it yourself on-line at http://www.ahrq.gov/clinic/cpgarchv.htm. A patient-friendly version of these guidelines is also available on-line at http://www.chirobase.org/07Strategy/AHCPR/ahcprconsumer.html or by calling 1-800-358-9295.

Another excellent resource A Patient's Guide to Low Back Pain is also available on line at http://www.eorthopod.com/eorthopodV2/index.php/fuseaction/topics.detail/ID/79791a8f7dd9f446b38653cbeab9a955/TopicID/840d34b9d079dd898138d113221c56f3/area/5.

You may want to review these materials with your physician and find out what he or she would advise for your specific situation. General guidelines apply to many patients with nonspecific LBP but may not be appropriate for everyone.