I need some kind of treatment for back pain that will reduce my pain. I also need to be able to move freely to perform my job. Should I see a doctor, chiropractor, or physical therapist?

We can't give you a straight answer on this because it just isn't clear yet what works the best. National trends show an increased number of visits with doctors for back pain of unknown cause. This may be based on what health insurance covers. Some patients report the best results with chiropractic care, but fewer patients are going to chiropractors today compared with 10 years ago. More patients are relying on specific exercises given by physical therapists.

Until the right mix of treatment is found, patients are on their own to find what works best them. In the meantime, watch the news for research results in case anything changes.