How can I find out what's wrong with my hip? I've had an X-ray and an MRI. Both were "normal". But I can tell you that hip is not "normal". I have pain and can't bend it all the way or turn it in. Sometimes I have trouble turning my hip out, too. Where do I go from here?

If you've had some imaging studies it sounds like a physician has started the diagnostic process. The next step is to go back to the doctor. You may need an MRA or magnetic resonance arthrography. A liquid dye is injected into the joint space. This allows the radiologist to see the outlines of the joint capsule that don't show up otherwise.

One other step is to look inside the joint with an arthroscope. A long, thin needle is inserted into the joint. A tiny TV camera on the end of the tool allows the physician to view the joint.

This doesn't always work without manipulating the joint first. Manipulation is done while the patient is sedated. The doctor moves the joint through its full range of motion. Some pressure may be needed to break loose any adhesions or bits of scar tissue holding the joint back.

Ask your doctor what your options are given your symptoms, history, and results of early imaging studies.