I'm 42-years old and have one very bad hip. For some unknown reason my right hip is deteriorating. I know I'm too young for a hip replacement. Is there anything that can give me relief from the pain and a chance to keep my active lifestyle?

If you've been turned down by your surgeon for a hip joint replacement, then you've probably been advised about pain medications. If not, be sure and ask your doctor what over-the-counter or prescription drugs would be helpful.

Research continues to look at joint replacement in younger patients. In the meantime, hip fusion is emerging as a possible alternative operation. When hip fusion is done with the hip in a good position, pain relief and improved function are the results. With a solid fusion you'll have steady pain relief.